Although we will be closed from January 4 until early February as we get our new space ready for you, we have done our best to provide you with options for a satisfying library experience. Here are some answers to questions you may have about library services available to you while we are closed:
Can I still borrow books and other materials while you are closed?
Absolutely! You will still be able to place holds on items from all MINERVA libraries (except TML) during January. Or, if you want to be able to browse shelves and get advice from trained staff, Scarborough Public Library, and South Portland Public Library, will continue to honor your TML card until we reopen. You will find them quite welcoming.
How can I place holds while you are closed?
You have a number of options depending on your comfort level and experience using our MINERVA catalog:
- If you normally place holds yourself using the online catalog, you will be able to continue doing so from home with no change.
- If you are visiting either the Scarborough or South Portland Libraries, you may also place holds directly from their Public Access Terminals while you are there. Staff are available to assist you with any problems.
Where will I pick up items placed using the online catalog?
All items placed on hold from the online catalog will be sent to Thomas Memorial Library. We have scheduled hours in the afternoon and early evening for you to pick them up (see below.)
When can I pick up holds that are delivered to Thomas Memorial Library?
We will be open the following hours during the month of January for you to pick up any holds that are delivered to us:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursday: 3:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
What options are available if I am not comfortable using the online catalog or have problems placing a hold?
If you need assistance placing holds, we have you covered:
- During the posted hours above, we welcome your call to our regular number, 799-1720. Our staff will be happy to place a hold on your behalf, which will be sent to Thomas Memorial Library as usual. We will contact you when it is available.
- If our limited hours do not work for you, you may place your holds directly with either the
- South Portland Public Library (767-7660) or Scarborough Public Library (883-4723). Holds may be placed either in person while you are visiting these libraries or by phone.
- Please note: If you place a hold directly with the Scarborough Public Library, your items will be sent automatically to Scarborough unless you request that the item be sent to TML. The same is true for holds placed at the South Portland Public Library.
What can I do if I have questions about holds or encounter problems while you are closed?
You may call us at our regular phone number (799-1720) during the hours we are open. Or, you can also send an email to email@example.com specifying your question or the nature of the problem you have encountered; we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Can I use the computers, and other services of Thomas Memorial Library during the hours you are open for holds to be picked up.
No. Library staff will be busy packing and moving and preparing for the new building to open. We will not be able to provide services beyond hold-pickups during those times. But you are free to use all the services offered by South Portland Public Library and Scarborough Public Library.
When will the new library open?
We expect for our new building to be open to the public some time during the first week of February.
Will there be any Grand Opening events?
Yes! We are planning a month-long series of events to highlight different areas and services in the new library. The schedule will be posted soon on our website and in our emailed newsletter, and publicized on the library’s Facebook page and in the Cape Courier.
How can I stay informed about the opening of the new building and upcoming events?
We sincerely appreciate your patience during this time of transition. We feel confident that this month-long period of disruption will be worth it when we welcome you into our fabulous new Thomas Memorial Library!